Monday, October 6, 2008

intro

I, sara, being of soundish mind and body do hereby invest this blog with a purpose, namely and to wit, chronicling my efforts at knitting the longest, continuous scarf, knit by a single person. this is not, I repeate, NOT yet an official world record attempt. I need to get a bit further along before I submit all the paperwork to the folks at Guinness.
to the best of my knowledge, the current record is 3,523 feet, held by Ray Ettinger. This effort began on June 4, 2008. the scarf is 25 stitches across and is being knit on size 10.5 needles. (it started on size 10 straights but then I switched to the 10.5 circular needles because they were easier to stuff into a bag). the scarf is being knit with any yarn I happen to come across. it started with my stash and has expanded to donated yarn, estate yarn, and practice handspun yarn.
the first few entries in this blog will be the origin myth of the scarf, followed by entries from the paper journal I've been keeping. Then, hopefully soon, we'll get into real time entries.

and just for fun... the box of yarn that started it all...